From the medieval and ancient to the baroque and art nouveau Europe is a treasure of everything. Here you will see a whole side of nature to go with the main dish of culture in this wonderful continent. From England and France to Italy and Germany every country in Europe is full of vibrant cities. Europe is especially known for its museums, restaurants, nightlife, and architecture. So it will be difficult for you to choose which ones to visit. Here I have come up with the best attraction in Europe. So book your flights to Europe and plan your travel destinations in Europe.
Leaning Tower of Pisa (Italy)
This world-famous leaning tower is known around the globe for its incredible four-degree tilt. You will feel like the tower is about to topple over. This amazing slanted belltower is behind Pisa Cathedral. The wonderful thing about this tower is that it is built in the Romanesque style. Dating back to the 12th century, this tower took 199 years to complete. This tower is 55.86 meters tall and attracts tourists from all over the world.
Location: City of Pisa, Italy
Construction Year: started in 1173, finished in 1399
Original Height: 60 m
Actual Height: 56.67m =highest side; 55,86m =lowest side
Stairs: 251 steps
Weight: 14,500 tones
Interesting facts about the Leaning Tower of Pisa
- The tower got its name in 600 BC from a Greek word meaning “marshy land.”
- Besides the Tower of Pisa, there are other towers in Pisa that also lean. These are the bell tower at the church of St. Michele dei Scalzi, and the bell tower at the church of St. Nicola.
- Furthermore, Galileo was baptized in the baptistery in 1565.
Best Time to Visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa
You should visit in the offseason, April-June and September and October. These months offer the best weather and fewer crowds at the leaning tower.
Other places to visit in Italy
- Tuscan Hill Towns
- Lake Como
- Amalfi Coast and Capri
- The Cinque Terre
Athens – Parthenon (Greece)
The former temple of the Greek goddess Athena, the Parthenon is a historic antique. This temple has been completed in 432 BC in Athens, Greece. And this monument features Classical Greek architecture. Besides that, it is considered the finest example of such monuments. Inside the temple, white columns are sculptures called friezes that detail Greek mythology in 3D.
Address: Athens 105 58, Greece
Construction started: 447 BC
Architects: Ictinus, Callicrates
Architectural styles: Doric order, Classical architecture
Interesting facts about Parthenon Athens
- This temple is dedicated to a Greek goddess.
- For some time, it was used as a mosque.
- The Parthenon’s name means “unmarried women’s apartments.”
- This temple is one of the finest examples of Greek architecture.
- The surprising thing about this temple is that it was bombed during the great Turkish war. Canals of Bruges
- There is a full-scale replica of this temple in the United States.
Best Time to Visit Athens
The best time to visit Athens is between March and May and from September to November.
Other places to visit in Athens
- The Acropolis
- Acropolis Museum
- National Archaeology Museum
- The Pláka and Anafiotika Neighborhoods
- The Roman Agora & Hadrian’s Library
- Museum of Cycladic Art
- Olympieion: Temple of Olympian Zeus
- Panathenaic Stadium & Olympic Stadium
Cliffs of Moher (Ireland)
Cliffs of Moher located in Ireland’s County Clare. This is an awe-inspiring and beautiful sight. These coastal cliffs are made up of a steep 214m stone. You can spot the Aran Islands across the sparkling waters from the top of the cliffs. You can get a glimpse of the castle-like cliffs while walking along the cliffs. Besides that, these cliffs have been the subject of many folk tales and stories. This beautiful place has been featured in numerous films, such as Harry Potter.
Address: Lislorkan North, Co. Clare, Ireland
Elevation: 155 m (509 ft)
Interesting facts about Cliffs of Moher
- Cliffs of Moher is the site of ancient Irish legends.
- This amazing place is a breeding site for over 30,000 seabirds.
- It is the second most popular tourist destination in Ireland.
- These cliffs are 320 Million years old.
Best Time to Visit Cliffs of Moher
Peak months to visit Cliffs of Moher are July and August. Besides that, the Cliffs of Moher are very busy from April to September every year.
Other places to visit in Ireland
- Town Sligo
- Killarney National Park
- Boyne Valley
- The Rock of Cashel
- Galway City
- Blarney Castle
The Meteora is a rock formation in central Greece. It is one of the largest and most precipitously built complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries. Here six monasteries are built on huge natural pillars. Besides that, it is a hill-like rounded boulder that dominates the local area. Meaning of the word Meteora is ‘hovering in the air’. Monks had constructed these monasteries on top of these rocks so that they would be closer to god. Your eyes never would have seen a sight like this ever in your life. You must explore this peaceful and wonderful place in Europe during your trip.
Address: Kalabaka 422 00, Greece
Interesting facts about Meteora
- This fascinating site is featured in the James Bond movie, ‘For Your Eyes Only’.
- Besides that, it is a popular rock-climbing site. Every year people come here from all around the world to reach the top.
- Meteora has become a World Heritage Site in 1988.
- Rock pillars of this place has formed approximately 60 million years ago by earthquakes and weathering.
- 6 of the remaining monasteries (which were 24 in beginning) are still in use but many monks have left the site.
Best Time to Visit Meteora
The best time to visit Meteora is in May or June to get a benefit of fewer crowds.
Other places to visit in Greece
- Cape Sounion
- Greek Islands
Sagrada Familia (Spain)
Sagrada Familia is a famously opulent church in Barcelona. The construction work of this church has been started back in 1882, 137 years later. But Sagrada is still unfinished. The expected completion time of the building is 2026. This church is built in the art nouveau and gothic styles. This amazing church has an impressive eight spires. Besides, ten are yet to be constructed. This fantastic building draws the attention of tourists with twisting turrets and surreal curves.
Address: Carrer de Mallorca, 401, 08013 Barcelona, Spain
Architect: Antoni Gaudí
Interesting facts about Sagrada Familia
- This beautiful church is under Construction for Over a Century.
- By the time of completion, Sagrada Familia will have 18 towers.
- 12 of the towers will represent the apostles.
- 4 towers will represent the evangelists.
- 1 tower will be designated for the Virgin Mary.
- Finally, the last one, the highest one in the middle, will represent Jesus Christ.
- Right now 8 towers have been completed.
Best Time to Visit Sagrada Familia
Generally October to March this place is less busy, so you should visit during this time if you want to avoid more crowds.
Other places to visit in Spain
- San Sebastian
Tallinn Old City (Estonia)
Tallinn used to be an extremely prosperous city. You will see grand merchant’s houses and churches lining the cobblestone streets. You will see several wonderful sites in this cultural and historical heart of the Estonian capital. Town Hall Square is one of them, it is a home to the gothic Town Hall. Besides that Estonia’s oldest church, the 13th-century cathedral of Saint Mary the Virgin is another must-visit place. It is set on Toompea Hill. At present, it’s not the historic buildings only that make the area so charming but there are numerous beautiful bars and shops to enjoy. Your eyes can’t deny the beauty of this charming old city. Visitors from all over the world come here every year to admire the beauty of Tallinn.
Area: 110 ha
Population: 4,437 (1 Jan 2015)
UNESCO World Heritage Site inscription: 1997
Interesting facts about Tallinn Old City
- It is the capital and largest city of Estonia.
- This town is one of the best-preserved medieval cities in Europe.
- It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Tallinn ranked as a global city. It has been listed among the top 10 digital cities in the world.
Best Time to Visit Tallinn
The best time to visit Tallinn is from May to September.
Other places to visit in Estonia
- City Viljandi
- Soomaa National Park
- Rakvere Castle
- Narva Castle
- Lahemaa National Park
These are some top must-visit tourist attractions in Europe. So try to cover these places on a tour trip to Europe. However, tourist destinations are not limited up to these only. There are several other destinations where you can roam around.
What is the top tourist attraction in Europe?
- Eiffel Tower- Paris, France
- Sagrada Familia – Barcelona, Spain
- The Louvre – Paris, France
- Buckingham Palace – London, England
- Acropolis of Athens – Athens, Greece
- British Museum – London, England
- Van Gogh Museum – Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Colosseum – Rome, Italy
What is the most beautiful place in Europe?
- Kirkjufell, Iceland
- Meteora, Greece
- Bruges, Belgium
- Lapland, Finland
- Sintra, Portugal
- Bay of Kotor, Montenegro
What is the cheapest time to visit Europe?
The late winter months from mid/late October to mid/late March are the cheapest months to fly.
What are the best months to visit Europe from the USA?
Ideal months to visit Europe from USA to Europe are May, June, and September, when prices are reasonable